SCSWA oversees the collection contract for curbside recycling within the Las Cruces city limits. Curbside residential recycling services is provided via a collection hauler, Friedman Recycling. Residents within city limits are able to utilize a 96-gallon collection cart for bi-weekly recycling service. See list below of acceptable recyclable materials.
The contracted hauler collects the recyclables from homes and transports the recyclables to the SCSWA Trash Transfer Station. The recyclables are then prepared and transported to the materials recovery facility, Friedman Recycling Plant, in northeast El Paso for final processing.
Need to request a recycling cart? Questions about your service day? Call 575-323-5086.
WHAT TO RECYCLEMost Preferred:
- Corrugated cardobard
- Plastic Bottles #1
- Plastic Bottles #2
- Copier/Printer Paper
- Aluminum, Steel & Tin Can
- Junk mail and mixed paper
- Includes but is not limited to: newspapers, magazines, colored paper, coated paper, phone books, etc.
- Soft cover and hard cover books
- Plastics #3-#7 and rigid plastics
- Chip/paperboard (i.e. shoe boxes, tissue and cereal boxes, empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls, pasta and food boxes, milk and juice cartons)
- Shredded paper – MUST be bagged in clear bags. Material bagged in shopping bags, white or any other colored bag be discarded
HOW ARE RECYCLABLES PROCESSED?
Can’t put these in the blue bin, but these items have other disposal options available:
Glass recycling via drop-off recycling in yellow glass collection trailers at either the Recycling Center (2855 W. Amador) or Old Foothills Landfill (555 S. Sonoma Ranch Blvd). Please NEVER put glass in your blue recycling bins.
Hazardous/Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics can be dropped off to SCSWA Recycling Center, Old Foothills Landfill, and County Collection Centers. For Residential Drop-off Only. Scrap Metal recycling drop-off is also available for residents. Free residential drop-off services are not available for commercial/business use. Contact SCSWA at 575-528-3800 for more information.
Yard waste can be recycled and disposed of at Old Foothills Landfill and any County Collection Centers.
Contact the New Mexico Department Health at (575) 528-5000 for more information on how to dispose of medial waste.