Green/yard waste from residents is great for turning into rich, organic, soil amendment - also known as compost.
Green/Yard Waste Disposal - Residential Drop-off Only
(NOT for commercial use)
Resident are able to drop-off green and yard waste at the following locations:
- SCSWA Amador Avenue Transfer Station
- SCSWA County Collection Centers
- Foothills Landfill - 555 S. Sonoma Ranch Blvd.
Must be a City of Las Cruces resident to recycle your green/yard waste at Foothills Landfill.
Green/Yard Waste Drop-off for Commercial and Residential Use
Commercial businesses and residents (city and county) can bring their green/yard waste to the Transfer Station located at 2865 W. Amador . Disposal fees are applicable.
Safety Guidelines for Green/Yard Waste Recycling and/or Dispsoal
Tree limbs may not exceed 5-feet in length or 5-inches in diameter. Palm trees must be less than 2-feet in length and diameter. This length and diameter makes it easier for everyone: residents can get the heavy pieces of trunk into their truck beds...and we can chip it without damaging our machinery.
• For yuccas please call Las Cruces Solid Waste Utilities (575) 528-3700 ahead of time for a case-by-case evaluation to determine the best way to dispose this material while being mindful of the equipment.
• No dirt please, this includes sod, dirt root balls on plants, and dirt in raked material. Dirt and rock are damaging to the chipper.
• Please take yard waste and tree leaves OUT of plastic bags, and dump in the pile at the Old Foothills Landfill.
• No trash in the yard waste. This includes paper and plastics. Please check for any tools you may have left behind.
Where to Get Free Compost
For more information on free compost and green/yard waste recycling visit City of Las Cruces or call 575-528-3700.