What is Hazardous or Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
Household Hazardous Waste is any product that meet one or more of the characteristic below and is generated in small quantities, typically 5 gallons or less.
Hazardous Waste is any product that meets one or more of the characteristic below.
- Corrosive/Caustic – can burn and destroy living tissue.
- Flammable/Combustible – can be easily ignited
- Reactive/Explosive – can detonate or explode through heat exposure, sudden shock or change in pressure.
- Radioactive – can damage and destroy cells and chromosomal materials.
- Toxic/Poisonous – can cause injury or death through ingestion, inhalation or absorption.
What Can You Dispose Of?
Common items that residents can dispose of include, but are not limited to the following:
Common Household Hazardous Materials
|Batteries – automotive and rechargeable household – (NO Alkaline)||Motor oil and fluids|
|Cooking oils||Paints and stains|
|Any other product labeled “dangerous”, “warning” or “caution”||NEW Televisions & Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) – Limited to 3 (in any combination) per household, per day. MINIMUM CHARGE IS APPLICABLE.|
** NO Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) or Styrofoam **
Download the SCSWA Quick Guide to Household Hazardous Waste here.
Where to Bring Your HHW?
Recycling Center – 2855 W. Amador
County Collection Centers
|Anthony – 2120 E. O’Hara Road||Hill – 9293 Del Rey Boulevard|
|Butterfield – 4925 Eason Lane||La Mesa – 1310 W. Afton Road|
|Garfield – 505 Nightwatchers Road *||La Union – 2590 Visnaga Street *|
|Hatch – 110 Cerrito Road||Mesquite – 725 County Road B-059|
Hours of Operation
- Monday – Friday
- 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday
- 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday – Monday
- 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
* These locations have alternative hours of operations:
* Garfield is open Saturday and Sunday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm.
* La Union is open Friday through Sunday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm.
For more information or questions, contact SCSWA at 575-528-3800.