Doña Ana County is divided into three solid waste management areas: Central (Greater Las Cruces), North and South. Each area correlates to the three most densely populated areas in the County. As a part of the proposed solid waste ordinance, SCSWA is planning to upgrade all of areas we serve.
Some benefits of the proposed infrastructure upgrade may include:
- New transfer station
- New community collection center near Radium Springs
- Composting of green waste and biosolids
- Future curbside collection
- Less truck traffic
- Enclosed waste operations
- Commercial waste accepted
- Pay by weight, not by punch card
- Reduced blowing of litter
- Potentially shorter haul distance for south management area.
Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
South Central Solid Waste Authority (SCSWA) owns and operates the Amador Avenue Transfer Station (Transfer Station) and operates the Amador Recycling Center (Recycling Center). The operations at both of these facilities are considered industrial activities that have the potential to impact stormwater quality. Therefore, these facilities are required to have a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. SCSWA has applied for coverage under the Multi‐Sector General Permit for Stormwater Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity (MSGP) (effective June 4, 2015). This Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) is required by the MSGP and its purpose is to describe SCSWA’s program for complying with all of the requirements in the MSGP.
Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan for Amador Avenue Transfer Station is available here. *
Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan for Corralitos Landfill is available here. *
Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan for County Collection/Convenience Centers is available here. *
* These are downloadable partial version of full SWPPP. Full versions of the SWPPP are available at the SCSWA Administrative Office at 2865 West Amador Avenue.
Landfill Permit Modifications
SCSWA has future plans to apply for a modification to its permit to operate the Corralitos Regional Landfill. Click here for details about the landfill permit modification.