Recycling in Las Cruces works. However, new quality standards have emerged and have drastically changed the rules of the game. To meet the evolving changes to recycling, we re urging our processor, Friedman Recycling, to focus on domestic markets to process our recyclables. Although, we have not banned much of the items we prviously listed as accpeted, we are strongly urging residents to remember the Fab 5 when they question what goes in the blue bins and dumpsters.
What are the Fab 5?
- Corrugated Cardboard
Not your Kleenex boxes, but your Amazon boxes. Is it sturdy and does it have ridges? These can be remade into other items.
- Printer/Copier Paper
- White paper, what you find in an office, can be reprocessed and dyed into any other color but colored paper cannot. Thickness or size doesn’t matter.
- PET Plastic BOTTLES #1
- Usually clear – think water and soda bottles. This plastic is commonly recycled into textiles, apparel and even used as a building material in countries where the containers and filled with sand and then stacked to construct walls.
- HDPE plastic BOTTLES #2
- Think your RINSED milk jugs and detergent jugs. If you wonder what type of plastic it is, check the bottom of the bottle for the little number inside the recycling logo. Then rinse it out and put it in the bin.
- Aluminum and Steel/Tin Cans.
The ultimate recyclable. We want your cans! Just make sure they’ve been rinsed at the sink.
Other items still accepted, but not encouraged include:
**Mixed paper: newspapers, post cards, magazines, yellow pages/phone books
**Chipboard/paperboard: cereal boxes, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, cartons, etc.
**Due to the change markets, these items have no value and may be fully considered trash items in the future. Please avoid placing these items in your blue bin or dumpster when possible. Visit our Waste Wire News to to read tips on how to adopt a waste less/zero waste lifestyle to help avoid using these items all together.**
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED:
- Plastic shopping bags
- Food waste or any food soiled materials.
- Black or white garbage bags (even if it has recyclables in it)