South Central Solid Waste Authority (SCSWA) was established in December of 1994 through the adoption of a Joint Powers Agreement between the City of Las Cruces and Doña Ana County for the purpose of providing and maintaining regional solid waste and recycling management programs. The Authority is comprised of an eight (8) member board where three (3) voting members from City Council are appointed by the Mayor with consent of the City Council, three (3) voting members appointed by the County Chairperson with consent of the County Commission, and two (2) ex-officio members who are the City Manager and the County manager, or their designees. The member’s term expires when his or her official term in office is completed or when the term of the appointing Mayor or Chairperson is completed; however, the member continues to serve until a new member is appointed. Members may be appointed for more than one term.
WHAT WE DO:
South Central Solid Waste Authority (SCSWA) provides recycling and solid waste disposal services to one of the state’s fastest growing areas. We manage recycling and solid waste services for all of Doña Ana County, White Sands Missile Range, and communities within the defined service area of South-Central New Mexico. Our operations include the following:
- Daily operation of a 640 acre-tract 1,000 ton per day landfill located in the west-mesa known as the Corralitos Regional Landfill
- We manage rural collections and waste transfer activities throughout SCSWA service area (Doña Ana County, Sierra County and Otero County).
- Our recycling services include providing bi-weekly curbside collections to approximately 35,000 residential households and 270 Commercial Businesses in and around the City of Las Cruces.
- Our customer base consists of 10% of the State’s projected 2.35 million population (e., we service ~235,000 customers)
- We operate one main transfer station hub servicing Las Cruces, one smaller scale satellite transfer station servicing southern Doña Ana county in Chaparral and eight (8) county collection centers throughout Doña Ana County.
- We manage residential solid waste curbside collections in the City of Sunland Park.
- We manage commercial solid waste and recycling Collections at White Sands.
We currently have seventy-nine (79) employees who are passionate about recycling and solid waste management services. Our team is consistently expanding to provide additional services, building additional facilities, or planning to expand into new service locations.
Our team strives to provide the highest service levels for our residents while redefining the meaning of solid waste management. We work on developing progressive programs and policies to meet the global demand for sustainability while preserving our region’s traditional values and protecting the environment.
The Authority’s waste management practices and operations are regulated federally by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in combination with Subtitle’s within the congressional Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). SCSWA is also subject to the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) state rules.
OUR 10 YEAR PLAN PREPARED BY NewGen Strategies & Solutions: